Director of Human Resources
KLR Executive Search Group is proud to partner with the Woods Hole, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity for an experienced Human Resources professional to become a part of this vital organization. The Steamship Authority prides itself on incredible tenure, low turnover, a sense of community, and work-life balance.
Reporting to the General Manager, this individual will be a key member of the Executive Team.
Responsible for the operation of the Human Resources Office and for security and employee relations, including wage administration and health care benefits. Responsible for fleet personnel administration including recruiting, hiring and dispatching.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Human Resources Department staff (two employees).
- Immediately and solely in charge of all personnel functions of the Authority.
- Immediately and solely give direction to the office staff regarding all insurance claims and related dispositions.
- Act as Authority’s secondary spokesperson in contract negotiations with unions that have collective bargaining rights.
- Interpret collective bargaining rights of employees to department managers.
- Work with organization’s General Counsel if any issues escalate to the point of potential litigation.
- Recruit and assist in the selection of non-union, as well as union, personnel.
- Establish, oversee and administer training programs for new personnel and upgrading of present employees, both state required or otherwise, such as customer service, ethics, harassment prevention, etc.
- Act as Authority’s liaison for the Employee Assistance Program.
- Responsible for developing and administering personnel procedures and practices, including the Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity policies, the administration of new drug testing requirements of the Department of Transportation, and all related staff work.
- Review and oversee the processing of all casualty reports, personal injury reports and employee compensation claims, including claims which are subject to private litigation and those which are cognizable under the workers’ compensation statuses.
- Perform other duties are required by General Manager.
- Have ability to gain knowledge of employee assignments in the area of the vessel operations, terminal operations, parking lot operations, and all other dimensions of the Authority’s workforce.
- Important to gain some knowledge of the financial side of Steamship Authority’s operations.
- Strong HR Generalist background and employee relations experience is a must.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- PHR or SPHR preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 10 years progressive HR experience, including 2+ years in a supervisory role.
- Experience with recruitment, employee relations, collective bargaining, compensation, benefits and training required.
- Prior experience in the public sector is desirable.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.